Friday, March 7, 2014

seven spades, six clubs

i am a liar.

i am not certain i have been a liar all my life, but i have been a liar for as long as i can clearly remember.

like anyone else, i have constructed a narrative explaining myself to myself. and in this narrative, i became a liar because i knew i did not deserve the high opinion others had of me. i did not want others to see the selfish, weak, slothful, even depraved person i inwardly knew myself to be.

i probably was a liar before the event i will describe here, but the event figures large in my personal mythology.

when i was i guess six years old, first grade in a public elementary school in 1950s suburbia, some other boy and i were throwing rocks at the edge of the playground. the game was to throw the rock as nearly straight up as possible and, i dunno, watch it fall or something. i don't remember who the other kid was.

one of my throws went wrong. i knew immediately the rock left my hand it would fall not where we where playing, by the fence, but somewhere on the playground among the other kids.

so i assumed the attitude of someone who had nothing to do with it, put my hands in my pockets, and began walking away from the fence.

the rock came down. it struck a teacher in the head, and she fell to the ground. miss w., second grade. tall, thin, angular, with a mass of curly dark hair. i had what i guess you would call a crush on her.

i don't remember what happened next. she was pretty badly injured, i guess. probably they herded us all inside. probably an ambulance was called, etc.

what i do remember is some days later, or maybe it was later that same day, standing with the other fifteen or so kids in my class, all lined up in the classroom facing the teacher, mrs. r., who was asking for a confession. there was a roaring in my ears, and i could see only directly in front of me.

if she had asked us one by one, i don't think i could have stayed silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment